[nabs-l] Comments on Saturday Night Live Segment

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 09:25:37 UTC 2008

You take pride in your cane.  I take pride in mine.  People around us do
not, because they do not know that it is respectable to be blind.  The cane
reminds them that we are blind, and a lot of them just get uncomfortable
thinking about it.  They get more so when they see us walking with it
because they don't understand what we're doing.

Sighted people walk around, neatly avoiding obstacles in their way.  The
way I understand guide dogs to function, it's somewhat similar.  We cane
users seek out obstacles so that we can use them to keep track of where we
are going.  To a sighted person who doesn't know that, we're "running right
into everything."  To them, we aren't very good at getting around because
to them, getting around means NOT running into things.  Therefore, using a
cane and "running into things all the time" would cause sighted people who
didn't know any better to question his ability.

Of course, the governor could use the opportunity to educate.  But not
everyone is going to take the time to listen, as we all know.  Plus, he's
generally a busy guy, how much time can he afford to take to do that?
There is also the very real chance that he doesn't want to "look blind"
because he thinks people will think less of him.  That they actually will
may or may not fit into that.

Joseph

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 11:18:53AM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
> [...]
>> sighted world doesn't agree. I've had this discussion with sighted
>> friends, and the overall agreement we have reached is that I appear
>> confident with my cane only because I appear to be extremely confident
>> without it.  The cane subtracts from apparent confidence in the eyes of
>> the sighted public, and Governor Patterson doesn't have what it takes
>> to pull it off in his line of work.  So he uses a lot of sighted guide
>> with a somewhat unorthodox technique that is basically effective and
>> looks good on camera.  Good adaptation on his part.
>>
>> As to Braille, there are a lot of people who don't know Braille who are
>> blind.  It would be enough to me for Governor Patterson to say that
>> Braille is important, literacy is important, and that it would probably
>> would've been better for him in the long run if he had learned it.  He
>> can't take the time to do so now.
>>
>> These are the two things that people have cited on these lists most
>> often.  Others were cited, but have been explained as things an
>> executive would be expected to pay someone else to do anyway.  I'll
>> forgive his rejection of a cane since it truly would impede his career
>> (whether I think that's just or not), and I understand the challenge of
>> learning Braille as an adult because I learned it as one.
>>
>> Hopefully my ramblings have helped explain my thinking at least a bit.
>>
>> Joseph
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 03:03:51PM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
>>> Hello Mr. Carter,
>>>
>>> I do understand that there is a line that must be drawn regarding
>>> when  one may need assistance.  As Brice said in a previous message,
>>> we can't  get anywhere without at least some dependence on others and
>>> I agree with  this.  even people without disabilities need a hand
>>> sometimes.  I am OK  with using public transportation and maybe
>>> accepting the occasional ride  from a sighted counterpart; however,
>>> that is with the understanding that  I do not do it all the time, I
>>> am not inconveniencing that person, and I  have the skills to get
>>> from point A to point B if that driver weren't  present.  Public
>>> transit doesn't count to me because sighted people use  that as well.
>>>  I simply try not to seem as though I need more help than  the
>>> average sighted person.  sure, I need help with things due to my
>>> vision impairment, but I try my hardest to keep that to a minimum.  I
>>>  have heard many times, and it is a contraversial subject on here,
>>> that  Mr. Paterson is assisted more than he should be and that he is
>>> unable to  perform many tasks that you and I do ourselves
>>> independently on a daily  basis.  Yes, you are right in that many
>>> politicians pay people to do  things for them simply because they can
>>> afford it and why not if they  can pay someone to do it?  sure I
>>> agree with that, but only if I am able  to perform those chores by
>>> myself first would I invest in someone to do  them for me.

>>> Robby