[nabs-l] Figuring Things Out

Harry Hogue harryhogue at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 18:16:03 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

Let me apologize in advance for how long this turned out!  I thought as I wrote and so you're getting my stream of consciousness!  Thanks!

I would like to hear from anyone, either on list or off of it, who has taken the GRE...preferably if your math skills aren't great.  I am looking around at some other graduate schools after deciding that linguistics may not be the best master's, based on a class that I'm taking this semester having to do with the historical development of English.  Most graduate schools either requrie the GRE or the MAT, with the majority prefering the GRE.  I truly do not believe that I have the skills to pass the GRE because of its math section--and although part of it may have to do with vision, a lot of it is just genetic--I simply am not good at math (neither is my brother who is fully sighted).  Thoughts, though, on succeeding with it, if I have to take it, are appreciated.

I would also welcoem any strategies for finding schools that accept the MAT.  Oh and for a master's degree, I still want to be a college professor but am looking aroun at my options--I have actually thought about doing TEFL/TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) overseas...I'm really a bit intimidated.  I know what I want; I think I would really like the idea of teaching overseas for a year or two and being a professor (in whatever order those happen to arrive); I've even thought about going for a master's overseas--is that a crazy idea?

I am at this point where I am very confused and don't feel like I have a whole lot of time.  I took a career assessment, and as I suspected, it said that my responses didn't show a clear pattern, meaning I have a lot of options and basically could do anything.

So this post isn't really about the GRE, or graduate school, or teaching, or any of it.  I suppose it's more about me trying to make sense out of the confusion; I'm hoping for the things I want, wishing desperately for them to be possible, but still having the doubt that I could be comfortable going overseas and teaching (how could I, given that every time I move I have tention in my body from the cane)?  I say it is from the cane, because while walking down the hall, when no one else was around, I stopped using the cane and just held it vertical, and noticed that my tention immediately eased.  I was much more comfortable and I had no anxiety at all.  The constant noise of the cane on the concrete/tapping against doors/etc grates on me, and I am just now figuring this out.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, if you've made it this far.  I didn't intend for this to turn into a book.

Thanks,

Harry Hogue