[nabs-l] Tips for DSS offices

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 08:36:14 UTC 2008

Mike,

They serve a valid purpose for people who need them.  The problem is that
most of them are dysfunctional and don't serve any purpose well.  That has
been true at many institutions I have attended, but at present, the DSO at
Western Oregon University is a fine office and far better than any other I
have worked with at providing the appropriate accommodations in a timely
manner.

They're still within their first year of a totally new staff, who began in
January, and they've accomplished much in that time just related to
blindness.  For one, you might recall that I asked last year in November
or December about how DSOs that get it right work regarding textbooks--the
winning answer was provided by Dezman Jackson, and Western Oregon is
working to implement that solution, as quickly as they may.  They're still
working on some of the infrastructure pieces.

To steal an actually useful idea offered by Obama for a change (and thus I
state my political bias), what we need isn't more or less DSOs.  We need
better DSOs that actually provide _reasonable_ accommodations based upon
the actual disability of the person seeking accommodations.  We need them
to be as creative in solving problems as the rest of the world is at
creating them.  We need them to come up with the most appropriate way to
diminish the effects of a disability--no more and no less.  And we need
them to do it in a timely and efficient manner that doesn't create extra
work or burden for students or faculty.

When real people come into the picture, cookie cutter forms and stereotype
accommodations don't cut it.  That's my take.

Joseph