[nabs-l] Organizations express outrage overrepublicandisabilitypolicy

Antonio Guimaraes aguimaraes at nbp.org
Mon Nov 3 18:35:18 UTC 2008

About plight, my dictionary defines it as

"condition, state; especially a bad state.:

No language in my dictionary, the version used in the Franklyn Master
Special edition suggests that plight is reserved for those who can not
overcome adversity.

Turning to the dictionary in the Kurzweil software, plight is defined as

"a cituation, especially a bad or unfortunate one."

"To give a pledge, one's word of oath for example."

"To endanger, put at risk."

Again, nothing here directly indicating a lack of reziliency, or inability
to overcome adversity.

I have provided two pieces that point out why I favor the Obama camp. I have
heard McCain refer to the disabled as people with special needs, as pointed
out in the recent press release. I do not feel the need to research and
present evidence for my every statement, but I know what I hear, and I know
what I read. And, from what I hear, and from what I read, I have been able
to make a conscious decision on who is best suited to lead America. My mind
will likely not change, and neither is Joe Orosco's, or Mika Pikala. We have
been politically defined in the same way for years, but I hope we are always
able to carry on with maturity, and forceful arguments.

I know who I support for president, and I know why I put my weight behind
him. It is up to each individual to to the same for themselves. If anyone
can show my original posts to be wrong, rather than to point out that it
favors one candidate over another, I would reconsider my statements, and
political leanings. Again, if McCain has such good record introducing laws
on behalf of the NFB, why isn't such general favor for disability issues
reflected in this document below?

Does the Obama support for disability policy present itself so promenently
here because the writer is left-leaning, or because Obama's policies are
well-articulated, and generally more benneficial to people with
disabilities, and the blind?

Are there straight out lies about McCain, misstatements of his positions and
voting record, and inflated statements about Obama? If so, what are they? Is
this all a matter of perception, or can we trust in imperic data, and one's
voting record?

Sincerely

Antonio Guimaraes

----------------------------------

 Sunday, September 21, 2008
This information is set forth in an effort to provide the reader with
information about the Presidential candidates' positions concerning people
with disabilities. It is not intended as an endorsement of either candidate,
and is posted in my private capacity.
Watch what they do (and did), not just what they say.

Vote for the candidate of your choice, but vote.
Please feel free to share this email and add it to your blogs.

  Marc

As we near November 4th, it is increasingly important that voters concerned
about people with disabilities are well-informed about the candidates'
positions. Each Presidential candidate has put forth positions on issues on
their respective websites:

McCain/Palen:
www.johnmccain.com/informing/issues<http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/issues>
<http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/issues>
Obama/Biden: www.barackobama.com/issues<http://www.barackobama.com/issues>
<http://www.barackobama.com/issues>

Please take a look at each of the websites to learn where the candidates
really stand.
A review of their respective records in the Senate is also revealing:
OBAMA ON EDUCATION FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES

Barack Obama supports full funding of the Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act (IDEA), early intervention and developmental programs, and
expanded college opportunities for students with disabilities.

Obama voted for over $44 billion in funding for the IDEA.  [SCR 1, Senate
Vote #94, 3/22/07]

Obama will invest $10 billion per year in early intervention, educational
and developmental programs for children between zero and five.  His plan
will help expand programs such as Early Head Start to serve more children
with disabilities.  His plan also will encourage states to expand programs
for children with disabilities, such as IDEA Part C. [Obama Plan to Empower
Americans with Disabilities
<http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/DisabilityPlanFactSheet.pdf> ]

Obama supports increasing opportunities for college students with
disabilities.  He also will provide more support for these college students.
Obama was an original co-sponsor of the Senate bill to reauthorize the
Higher Education Act (S. 1642) which significantly expands opportunities and
supports for individuals with disabilities to attend college and graduate
programs.  [S.1642, 110th Congress]

MCCAIN ON EDUCATION FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES

John McCain has repeatedly voted against the IDEA even though he claims he
supports full funding of it.

McCain has repeatedly voted against funding for special education.

>  McCain repeatedly voted against funding increases for the IDEA.
> [H.R.4577, Senate Vote #170, 6/30/00; SCR 23, Senate Vote #103, 3/26/03]

>  McCain has chosen tax cuts for the wealthy over education funding for
> students with disabilities.  Specifically, McCain voted against increasing
> spending in the amount of $229 billion over 10 years for the IDEA.  McCain
> also voted against an amendment that would create a reserve fund of $73
> billion in IDEA funding.  The spending would have been made possible by
> reducing tax cuts.  [SCR 23, Senate Vote #103, 3/26/03; SCR 23, Senate
> Vote #70, 3/21/03]

McCain did not co-sponsor reauthorization of the Higher Education Act (S.
1642).  He also did not vote on passage of the reauthorization of the Higher
Education Act in the 110th Congress. [S.1642, 110th Congress; S. 1642,
Senate Vote #275, 7/24/07]

OBAMA ON SUPPORT FOR LIVING INDEPENDENTLY IN THE COMMUNITY

Obama is a co-sponsor of the Community Choice Act of 2007.  Obama believes
that individuals should be able to make their own choices for their living
arrangements and live independently in their communities.  [S.799, 110th
Congress]

Obama is a co-sponsor of the Community Living Assistance Services and
Support (CLASS) Act Of 2007.  This bill would help individuals with
functional impairments pay for services that they need to maximize their
independence.  [S.1758, 110th Congress]

MCCAIN ON SUPPORT FOR LIVING INDEPENDENTLY IN THE COMMUNITY

McCain strongly opposes the Community Choice Act.  Asked about the Community
Choice Act at a Town Hall in Denver, McCain said "The Community Choice Act
is not a piece of legislation that I support." [McCain Town Hall
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/07/AR2008070701672_5.html>
, 7/7/08]

OBAMA ON SOCIAL SERVICES SPENDING

Obama opposes a freeze on social services spending for people with
disabilities.

Obama voted against capping non-defense spending which means that social
service spending for people with disabilities could continue to meet their
needs.  In 2005, Obama voted against the Inhofe amendment that would cap
non-defense, non-trust fund spending. [S.1932, Senate Vote #286, 11/3/05]

MCCAIN ON SOCIAL SERVICES SPENDING

McCain promises that he will cap non-defense spending for at least one year,
meaning that social services spending for people with disabilities will be
capped as well.

McCain voted in favor of capping non-defense spending. In 2005, McCain voted
for the Inhofe amendment that would cap non-defense and non-trust fund
spending. [S.1932, Senate Vote #286, 11/3/05]

McCain proposed a freeze of discretionary spending as illustrated when he
said, "As president, I will also order a prompt and thorough review of the
budgets of every federal program, department, and agency. While that
top-to-bottom review is underway, we will institute a one-year pause in
discretionary spending increases with the necessary exemption of military
spending and veterans' benefits." [McCain Remarks on the Economy at Carnegie
Mellon University, 4/15/08
<http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/Speeches/9bb4e69a-36cc-4ca3-b40d-0cdd41a1b812.htm>
 ]

OBAMA ON HEALTH CARE FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES

Obama will sign universal health care into law by the end of his first term
in office, and he has supported expanding the State Children's Health
Insurance Program ("SCHIP") and health care programs for people with
disabilities, children, and veterans.

Under Obama's plan to provide universal health insurance, insurance
companies will not be able to stop individuals from getting coverage even if
they have pre-existing conditions and disabilities.  Obama's plan allows
individuals and businesses to purchase public or private health coverage
through a national health insurance exchange.  Obama's plan would make
health care more affordable and accessible to all Americans, particularly
individuals who have been denied coverage in the private market due to a
pre-existing condition or disability. [Obama Plan to Empower Individuals
with Disabilities
<http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/DisabilityPlanFactSheet.pdf> ]

Obama is a co-sponsor of ending the Medicare Waiting Period Act of 2007
(S.2102).  Before they can get Medicare coverage, people with disabilities
must first receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for 24
months.  Due to the 24-month Medicare waiting period, an estimated 400,000
Americans with disabilities are uninsured and many more are underinsured at
a time in their lives when they need health coverage the most.  During this
waiting period, many individuals develop secondary conditions, their health
status worsens and many die.  Obama supports legislation that would phase
out this harmful waiting period and provide individuals with health
insurance. [S.2102, 110th Congress]

Obama supported expanded health insurance for children.  In 2007, Obama
voted to reauthorize the SCHIP at over $60 billion for five years.  Two
children who live with a single parent who makes $51,510 would have access
to health insurance coverage under SCHIP.  The bill would provide $100
million in new grants to fund state outreach and enrollment efforts and
allocate $49 million for a demonstration project to streamline the
enrollment process for low-income children already eligible for coverage.
[HR 976, Senate Vote #307, 8/2/07]

Obama supported assuring accessible health care to people with disabilities
by co-sponsoring the Promoting Wellness for Individuals with Disabilities
Act (S.1050) The bill would require the U.S. Access Board to establish
access standards for all diagnostic equipment (examination tables, x-ray,
mammography and other radiological equipment, etc.).  It also educates
physicians and dentists by requiring that medical schools, dental schools,
and their residency programs provide training to improve competency and
clinical skills in providing care to patients with disabilities (including
those with intellectual disabilities) as a condition of receiving federal
funds.  Finally, it establishes a national wellness grant program which will
authorize funding for programs or activities for smoking cessation, weight
control, nutrition or fitness that are tailored to the needs of individuals
with disabilities and authorize funding for preventive health screening
programs for individuals wi!
th disabilities to reduce the incidence of secondary conditions.  [S.1050,
110th Congress]

MCCAIN ON HEALTH CARE FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES

McCain's health care plan does not prohibit discrimination against
individuals with pre-existing conditions and disabilities.  McCain's
healthcare plan would replace the existing tax exclusion for
employer-sponsored health coverage with a refundable tax credit for all
Americans as an incentive to purchase health insurance.  However, many
individuals with disabilities are denied coverage or unable to afford
coverage in the private market due to pre-existing conditions and
disabilities.  While McCain's plan would work with states to develop best
practice models in expanding coverage to individuals who have been denied
coverage, it would not prohibit discrimination. [Washington Post, 4/30/08
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042902706.html>
 ]

McCain opposed reauthorizing SCHIP and providing insurance for millions of
uninsured children.  According to Knight Ridder, "The [2007] Senate proposal
would provide coverage to 3.2 million" uninsured children and renew coverage
for the 6 million children already covered by the program.  The legislation
passed 68-31. [H.R. 976, Vote #307
<http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00307>
, 8/2/07; Knight Ridder, 8/2/07]

VETERANS WITH DISABILITIES:
Obama:
The Disabled America Veterans (DAV) gave Obama an 80% rating in 2006.
[Project Vote Smart]
Obama supported expanding health care for veterans.

>  In 2005, Obama voted for providing an additional $500 million per year
> for the next five years for mental health services for veterans.  [S.2020,
> Senate Vote #343, 11/17/05]

>  In 2006, Obama voted in favor of adding $430 million for outpatient and
> inpatient health care and treatment for veterans.  Nearly half of the
> military servicemen and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan will require
> health care services for the physical and psychological traumas of war,
> yet the Bush administration and Republican-led Congress have underfunded
> the Veterans Administration's medical services by at least $1.2 billion
> for 2007 alone.  And, this was the second consecutive year they had done
> so.  [H.R.4939, Senate Vote #98, 4/26/06; The Independent Budget, A Budget
> for Veterans by Veterans, 2/10/06; Newsweek, 1/19/06]

Obama voted for $2 million for research of traumatic brain injuries to
improve imaging for traumatic brain injury testing and adapting current
technologies to treat brain injuries suffered in war.  [H.R.5631, S. Amdt.
4781, Senate Vote #222, 8/2/06; CQ, 8/2/06]

McCain:

McCain opposed expanding health care for veterans.

>  In 2005, McCain voted against providing an additional $500 million per
> year for the next five years for mental health services for veterans.
> [S.2020, Senate Vote #343, 11/17/05]

>  In 2006, McCain was one of 13 senators who voted against adding $430
> million for outpatient and inpatient health care and treatment for
> veterans.  Amendment passed 84-16.  [H.R.4939, Vote #98
> <http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00098>
> , 4/26/06]

>  McCain voted against $2 million of funding for research of traumatic
> brain injuries.  McCain rejected legislation that would help improve
> imaging for traumatic brain injury testing and adapting current
> technologies to treat brain injuries suffered in war.  [H.R.5631, S. Amdt.
> 4781, Senate Vote #222, 8/2/06; CQ, 8/2/06]

> McCain voted with the Disabled American Veterans 20% of the time.
> Factcheck.org "However, he is correct in that McCain doesn't have a
> perfect score with DAV (Disabled American Veterans), a group of 1.3
> million disabled veterans that supports more funding for veterans health
> care. McCain has a 20 percent record of voting the way DAV would like him
> to in 2006...Senators were evaluated on five votes for amendments that
> would have increased funding for veterans' health care." [Factcheck.org
> <http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/does_mccain_have_a_perfect_voting_record.html>
>  ]

OBAMA ON CIVIL RIGHTS FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES

Obama strongly supports the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Restoration Act.  Indeed, he signed on as an original co-sponsor of the
Senate version of the ADA Restoration Act.  [S.1050, 110th Congress]

Obama will appoint judges who exhibit empathy for individuals with
disabilities.  "Barack  Obama will appoint judges and justices who respect
Congress' role as a co-equal, democratically elected branch of government
and who exhibit empathy with what it means to be an American with a
disability" [Obama Plan To Empower Individuals With Disabilities
<http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/DisabilityPlanFactSheet.pdf> ]

MCCAIN ON CIVIL RIGHTS FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES

While McCain has also co-sponsored the ADA Restoration Act, he has promised
to appoint judges like those who interpreted the ADA narrowly and deprived
millions of people with disabilities of their civil rights.  McCain said
that as president, he would "appoint strict constructionist judges."  [AP,
8/7/07]  "In an address at Wake Forest University, McCain pledged to
nominate jurists who believe 'there are clear limits to the scope of
judicial power'...By way of example, McCain said he would look for people in
the cast of Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel A. Alito
Jr., and his friend the late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist. He called
them 'jurists of the highest caliber who know their own minds, and know the
law, and know the difference.'" [Los Angeles Times, 5/7/08
<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-mccain7-2008may07,0,3233304.story>
 ]

OBAMA ON MEDICARE ELIGIBILITY

In 2007, Obama voted against increasing Medicare Part D premiums for
beneficiaries making over $80,000 annually.   Obama voted against the Ensign
Amendment that would require Medicare prescription drugs beneficiaries with
annual incomes over $80,000 and couples with annual incomes over $160,000 to
pay a larger share of their Medicare Part D premium.[SCR 21, Senate Vote
#93, 3/22/07]

Obama opposed means testing for Medicare.  In response to a NCPSSM
questionnaire, Obama said, "The bill added 'means testing' to Part B of
Medicare, requiring individuals with incomes over $80,000 to pay gradually
higher premiums. This undermines the basic premise of Medicare as an
insurance program for all Americans and could cause wealthier and healthier
people to leave the Medicare program."  [NCPSSM Questionnaire; Citizen
Action Illinois Questionnaire, SEIU Questionnaire]

MCCAIN ON MEDICARE ELIGIBILITY

McCain voted to raise the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 67. In 1997,
McCain voted in favor of raising the eligibility age for receiving Medicare
from 65 to 67 with the change being phased in between 2003 and 2027. The
motion passed 62-38. [S 947, Vote #112
<http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=105&session=1&vote=00112>
, 6/24/97]

   OBAMA ON MENTAL HEALTH PARITY Obama is a long-time supporter of mental
health parity legislation, having passed the Illinois Mental Health Parity
Law.  He also co-sponsored the Mental Health Parity Act of 2007.  Obama
co-sponsored a bill to amend the Employee Retirement Income Security Act
(ERISA) and the Public Health Service Act to require a group health plan
that provides both medical and surgical benefits and mental health benefits
to ensure that: (1) the financial requirements applicable to such mental
health benefits are no more restrictive than those of substantially all
medical and surgical benefits covered by the plan, including deductibles and
copayments; and (2) the treatment limitations applicable to such mental
health benefits are no more restrictive than those applied to substantially
all medical and surgical benefits covered by the plan, including limits on
the frequency of treatments or similar limits on the scope or duration of
treatment. The bill prohibi!
ted the plan from establishing separate cost sharing requirements that are
applicable only with respect to mental health benefits. [110th, S.558,
Introduced 2/12/07; HELP Report, 4/11/07] Obama co-sponsored and voted for a
mental health parity bill that requires coverage for serious mental
illnesses to be provided on the same terms and conditions as other illnesses
and diseases.  [92nd GA; SB 1341; 2001; Signed into law 7/27/01, PA 92-0185]
 MCCAIN ON MENTAL HEALTH PARITY McCain's health care plan would eliminate
the mental health parity requirements in 45 states.  [Wall Street Journal,
10/11/07; SOURCE: National Conference of State Legislatures
(http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/hmolaws.htm
<http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/hmolaws.htm> ), accessed 7/30/07;
Council for Affordable Health Insurance, accessed 7/30/07
(http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/resources/pdf/MandatePub2007.pdf
<http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/resources/pdf/MandatePub2007.pdf> )]
OBAMA ON AUTISM Obama will increase federal funding for outreach and support
services for people on the autism spectrum.  Specifically, "Obama will seek
to increase federal ASD funding for research, treatment, screenings, public
awareness, and support services to $1 billion annually by the end of his
first term in office.  Obama will also continue to work with parents,
physicians, providers, researchers, and schools to create opportunities and
effective solu!
tions for people with ASD." [Obama Plan Supporting Americans with Autism
Spectrum Disorders
<http://origin.barackobama.com/pdf/AutismSpectrumDisorders.pdf> ] Obama is a
co-sponsor of the Expanding the Promise to Individuals with Autism Act
(S.937) which would improve services and supports for individuals with
autism spectrum disorder and their families.  It would build upon programs
within the Developmental Disabilities Act to increase interdisciplinary
training of professionals, development and dissemination of evidence-based
autism treatments, interventions, supports and services for children and
adults, and protection and advocacy.  [S.937, 110th Congress] MCCAIN ON
AUTISM McCain has not taken a leading role to expand services and supports
for people with autism. McCain has not co-sponsored the Expanding the
Promise to Individuals with Autism Act (S.937). [S.937, 110th Congress]
McCain says he will work to advance federal autism research.  "As President,
John McCain will !
work to advance federal research into autism, promote early screening, and
identify better treatment options, while providing support for children with
autism so that they may reach their full potential." [McCain Statement on
Combating Autism in America
<http://www.johnmccain.com/content/?guid=24dc9c37-e739-4aa3-8a88-ebae650a2f11>
 ] OBAMA ON VOTING RIGHTS FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES Obama supports
fully funding the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) so that we can ensure all
polling places are accessible.   His administration would also assure better
enforcement of federal disability rights laws - from HAVA to the Voting
Accessibility for the Elderly and Handicapped Act to the ADA - to make sure
the right of Americans with disabilities to vote is fully protected. [Obama
Plan to Empower Individuals with Disabilities
<http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/DisabilityPlanFactSheet.pdf> ] MCCAIN ON
VOTING RIGHTS FOR AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES In 2002, McCain voted
repeatedly against the !
Help America Vote Act, which was offered to correct problems in the election
system and impose detailed voting-procedure requirements on the states.
McCain voted for final passage of the bill.  [S.565, Senate]
Marc Dubin, Esq.
Florida Coordinator
Obama For President National Disability Policy Committee

www.barackobama.com/issues<http://www.barackobama.com/issues>
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/disabilities
Register to Vote at  http://www.voteforchange.com

To view John McCain's policy positions, visit
http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/issues/

305-896-3000 Direct
Fax: 877-731-3030
mdubin at pobox.com<mailto:mdubin at pobox.com>

Chair, Florida Bar Disability Law Committee
www.disabilitylawcommittee.com<http://www.disabilitylawcommittee.com>
Former Senior Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights
Division, Disability Rights Section, Washington, D.C.  1992-2005