[nabs-l] Blind and Visually Impaired Teen Group on Facebook!

Carranza, Rosy RCarranza at nfb.org
Wed Nov 5 17:32:54 UTC 2008

Peter,

Although Facebook is not completely accessible, many blind people use it
daily and it serves as a great recruitment tool for us. Be assured that
we are aware of the accessibility issues and are initiating dialogue
with Facebook to address some of the problems you have discussed .

Our content management system does not offer the same functionalities as
popular social networking sites. On Facebook, we have lots of wonderful
tools to connect people to our organization.

In this situation, not using Facebook is a mistake; we need to use as
many tools as possible to find blind people and to spread our positive
outlook about blindness. Certainly, accessibility is an issue to all of
us, but, this is absolutely worth doing because their our countless
blind people who need the resources that we have to offer. Also, as an
organization, we need the talents that others who don't know about the
NFB can bring into our movement.

Further, this Facebook page is not the answer for everyone, and  no
single resource can meet the needs of our diverse community,   but that
is why it is especially important that we use multiple tools to get our
word out.

If you have additional questions, please contact me off-list at
rcarranza at nfb.org.

Thanks,
Rosy Carranza