[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Thu Nov 6 02:20:19 UTC 2008

You're not the only one who is confused, Harry.  I was going to
say the same thing but was too shy to.  I have a friend who uses
a guide dog, but can read large print, watch movies (and describe
to me what's happening on the screen) and use a computer with
screen magnification software.  This is much different than me
being totally blind.  I don't think lumping people that have
quite a bit of sight and those who have no sight into one
category is a good idea.  Yes, we all have vision loss, but can
they be considered blind even though they have sight? Yes, again,
they're able to be a part of Nfb, because they have less vision
than fully sighted individuals.

Hope and Beignet

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:37:10 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

>I am confused.  If someone could please explain this to me, I
would appreciate it.  I am totally blind, so I am not in denial
of blidness, but to me there is a significant difference in
having 20/200 vision and having no vision at all.  Your vision is
then impaired, not completely gone; you do use alternative
techniques, but are those not alternative techniques for someone
with only partial visio nrather than complete blindness?

>I'm not trying to irritate anyone; I truly do not know why the
NFB is so adament about saying people are blind.

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date: Wednesday, November 5, 2008, 4:33 PM

>Hello Karen, Terri and Listers,

>Wow, Karen!! I must say, thanks for calling us, as the nabs board
and as
>nabs members,  out on this very interesting point.  I have
recently noticed
>something like this also.  I think that Terri's point can be a
good one.  It
>might be important for the Federation to use terminology such as
visually
>impaired or low vision, to try to attract a larger facet of
people.  These
>people might be uncomfortable with their blindness, they might
not want to
>identify as blind...  so, we say- Hey you visually impaired
person...  this
>group is for you too!
>Once we have their foot in the door so to speak, then
>we can teach them about our philosophy and educate them in the
fact that we
>are all blind individuals> We can then wow them into believing
that  the
>visual hierarchy does not matter.  Even if you
>are legally blind,    the key word is blind.  One is not going to
be
>recognized as a legally visually impaired person, are they?

>However, I do wonder in certain instances where the lines get
blurred and if
>we are sacrificing what we are as an organization to try to get
these new
>individuals into our door.  For example, not  to pick on one
specific
>facebook group, but I will use the 411 group, since it seems to
be the most
>recent one and has sparked some debate.  The salutation line-
"Attention
>blind and visually impaired high school students!" This makes
some sense
>according to Terri's argument.  We want those who self identify
as visually
>impaired to come to our group.  Yet, why would we need to use the
terminology
>visually impaired among ourselves and within our Federation
family?

>Why would we use the words low vision, visually impaired, to
refer to other
>Federationist? One such example I an talking about is the email
subject line
>:"for the sake of ne, in which the group was actually announced
to the
>NABS
>list.  the official heading was something like- Blind and
Visually Impaired
>Teen Group on Facebook.  why not just use something like, "new
blindness
>group of facebook!
>? I am definitely not trying to point fingers at any specific
group or
>person...  I am really curious, because I have seen terms such as
visually
>impaired, low vision, and high partial , in our literature
recently, also.  I
>am merely using the facebook post as the most recent and relevant
example.
>Is this a new trend in Federation philosophy? or do we believe
that perhaps
>trying to be all inclusive has caused us to become a little lax
and blur
>the lines of philosophy? Are the philosophical boundaries of all
blind
>members being equal, thus united we stand and divided we fall,
not as solid
>, and binding, now, as when I first joined the Federation...?

>I really am confused and would love to hear the philosophers
among us debate
>this observation.  What are the effects of these happenings, to
our
>philosophy? Do we need to tighten our concepts about blindness
and what it
>stands for within the Federation, or is inclusion the matter of
importance?

>Thoughtfully yours,

>Janice
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Terri Rupp"