[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

Bruce Sexton bjsexton at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 02:53:12 UTC 2008

Dear Harry,

You're question is not irritating.  To me blindness describes me as a whole
person.  When I described myself as "Visually Impaired" or "Legally Blind" I
described a person who lived in two worlds, the world of the blind and the
world of the sighted, but didn't fit in either.  I was taught to use
ineffective methods that I have affectionately come to term "forced seeing."
Most low vision methods of core value such as reading, writing, traveling,
cooking, cleaning and computer use are almost always more cumbersome then
their sister alternative technique for the blind.  There is no substitute
for Braille, sleep shade  cane travel, or speech reading software, and the
many techniques one uses when cooking.  The bottom line is, if you are
legally blind, your vision is unreliable.  Conversely, blindness techniques
are reliable in the rain, the dark, when a shadow approaches, in a buffet
line, stepping down or up a curb, or in any other situation one's vision
might fail.  This reliance on non-visual techniques allows a visually
impaired person to be secure in his surroundings unlike any other.  thus
calling one's self blind, gives them the freedom to take advantage of these
non-visual techniques without guilt.  It brings power to the word and to the
person's life who uses it!

Thanks for the question!

Sincerely,
B.J. Sexton