[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

Janice snowball07 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:03:32 UTC 2008

Hello Corbb and fellow listers,

I might just like philosophical debates and being able to see where my
fellow nabs members stand- LOL!  I feel it helps my own philosophy also.
However,  I think I can see where you are coming from... However, I only
brought the subject line up as one such example... Not the end all of
examples. The subject line example  was also stated as  a precursor to the
idea that the change in terminology,  seems to be happening more frequently.
For example, even in the production of our own newsletters, etc... I have
witnessed the term visually impaired. I cannot come up with specifics on
which newsletters and in what format right now but have seen it recent,
where as I do not think I have witnessed it before...

My sincerest question is, if it is just marketing.... are we marketing to
our own also? I am also wondering if this demarks a new trend in the
Federation? Are we moving away from being seen as staunch and rigid, as one
lister had stated,and now trying to be seen as more inclusive? Under what
instances would it be acceptable to use the terms visually impaired,
visually challenged, low vision, etc.... What is the methodology one would
use to manage these instances of "double speak and double speak"?

I am honestly trying to learn to walk that tight rope Mike Freeman had
mentioned. In my own internal debates of trying to please both gods, what is
the methodology and how are others reconciling this? I would love any more
thoughts, since I think it is important for us all to understand how to
balance our true philosophy and the use of, "... some meaningless or useless
variant thereof..." according to Mr. Omvig's quote. I guess I am just
grappling with the issue myself and trying to see if we have some sort of
standard, or what others have found helps with my slight disconnect. I ask
because I have been working with and mentoring a very young blind individual
myself and am wondering about recent comments on tactics. Thanks guys and
keep the good ideas and philosophical thoughts rolling.

Kindest Regards,

Janice