[nabs-l] accomodations in public school

Antonio Guimaraes aguimaraes at nbp.org
Thu Nov 6 14:34:02 UTC 2008

Hello Franandiah,

There is no officially recognized point at which braille is the preferred
method. In other words, there is no absolute test that says one should use
braille if her sight is 20/500 or worst in the better eye, and the like.

Your vision, 20/800, is very very, very limited. A good friend of mine had
20/200, and she knew and used braille when necessary. She is very low
vision, and I can't imagine someone four times blinder than her not using
braille.

You know you need braille, but your school will not provide it. The simple
fact you can not stand to read print, that you cry every day from straining
to read what you can't see, that you have no depth perception, and no
peripheral vision would be more than enough to warrant using braille.

It's pretty clear to me that your school is refusing to provide you a
service you need to continue your education. don't let it happen.

I am providing you with the e-mail and phone number to the NFB President in
your state in a separate, private message. Get in touch.

I am a Christian myself, but do not think attending a Christian school is
necessary to maintain your faith. If you end up not receiving services, you
should either leave the school, or pressure them into providing you with the
right to read.

The bottom line for them is that braille is expensive, and they will do what
it takes not to spend that kind of money. Again: don't let that happen.

Sincerely,

Antonio Guimaraes