[nabs-l] social interaction

Christopher Kchao thisischris89 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:09:28 UTC 2008

I don't think things are as bad as they might seem, and they certainly don't
need to be viewed in that kind of a negative light all the time. Treat
everyone like they're ignorant and like they ask the "stupidest" questions
and they won't want to learn anything. I don't have a huge problem with
people asking questions as it shows that they at least want to gain some
knowledge about the issue at hand. In my opinion, it really beats singling
out an individual or group of people and making blind assumptions (pun not
intended). Those kind of broad generalizations about anyone are  signs of
self-imposed ignorance, if you will.
I can get around New York city and do so with moderate independence. Yes,
I'll see a stranger now and then who's totally amazed at the skill, courage,
or idiocy involved in wanting to even take on such a task. The thing is
this. I wouldn't be so quick to say that person is just flying off the
handlebars, sizing me up and drawing conclusions based on what they think I
can do. I don't think it really gets that personal. We're talking about the
sighted majority who probably turn on the bathroom light just so they can
brush their teeth. Often times, they look at themselves and aren't quite
sure how they'd manage. A little education can go a long way, much as it may
bore some of us to tears.