[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 01:40:59 UTC 2008

Harry,

I grew up being "visually impaired" or "legally blind" and not just
"blind".  I have the scars to prove it, and I'm not kidding.

The techniques of blindness are frequently not taught to those with a lot
of residual vision because it is assumed they don't need them.  The thing
to consider is that when you're talking about "legal blindness", you are
saying that in the best case scenario, a person has as much as 10% the
visual acuity of anyone else.  There may be additional conditions as to
when their vision is that good such as the need to have a lot of light, or
as little as possible in my own case.

What do such people do in less than ideal situations?  The only really
effective way to teach the skills of blindness is to remove vision from
the equation.  If you don't do that, a person is going to use whatever
vision they can as best they can.  What do they do when they can't, for
whatever reason?

As the sort of person you're asking about, I can say confidently that
there are times when I'm going to have a definite advantage because I can
use my residual vision to see what's around me.  There's also going to be
times you'll have the advantage because you won't have this searing pain
to deal with.  When dealing with it, I promise, I see no more than you do.

Joseph