[nabs-l] NFB Training Centers

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 13:16:02 UTC 2008

Jessica,

Colorado versus the other two or NFB center versus state operated?

The choice of Colorado was two-fold: First, it is closer than either of
the other two centers.  Second, it exists in the greater Denver metro
area.  I'm not much for the country life, and I don't really have much
issue getting around a small town, aside from issues of transit and the
desire to go to a larger city.

The choice of an NFB center was easy.  I looked at results, nothing more.
There are state centers that get results like ours, but NFB centers are
the standard by which the results of other centers are compared.  There
may be other ways--and possibly even better ways--to get the results we do
in our centers, but what we do in our centers has been shown to work time
and again, even if they're a bit hard on students.  If you seriously put
the effort in to it, you will have both the skills and the confidence to
use them effectively.

The thing is, when someone figures out how to do it better, get the same
or better results, and do it without as much strain on the students, I
know for a fact that our centers will adopt new best practices.  I know
this because our centers' only agenda is the betterment of each student
going through the program by showing them what's possible and giving them
a set of proven tools to help them get there.

A state center has other considerations to consider, and their missions,
philosophies, goals, and agendas change with whoever has been put in
charge of them, and whatever their operating budget is.  The best of them
only manage to achieve par with ours.  That makes the safe bet the NFB
center, because there you know what you're getting: A key to your future,
whatever you decide that future is going to be.

Joseph