[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

hannah sparklylicious at suddenlink.net
Sun Nov 16 14:32:32 UTC 2008

Sometimes it's very hard for some people to talk about their
vission because they weren't used to talking about it throughout
childhood or they were brought up in a different culture.  In
certain cultures a lot of times people aren't as open, so when
they come to the united states, it's very hard to adjest because
it's one of those things that adjests slowly; it's sort of like
affcetion because a lot of the cultures aren't as affectionate as
we are.

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 08:11:49 -0500
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

>I can't believe people are willing to let people assume they are
totally
>blind just to avoid explaining what they can and can't see.  Does
that mean
>I should call myself deaf and force people to use sign language
by default
>just so I don't have to explain what I can and can't hear?  Of
course I
>don't know sign language but the analogy is similar.  Why are
people that
>uncomfortable about talking about their vision loss?

>>> Joseph

>>blanket marketing e-mail.  That is, it was meant to be forwarded
>around.  Just as
>>we want to attract new members (as has been said by me and
>others), we
>>wouldn't want to push people toward the delete button after only
>reading the
>>subject line.  Marketing, my friends, it's marketing.  I agree
>with all of you
>>-- we in the Federation are blind, even those of us with some
>residual vision.
>>Let's not push people away from our great organization before
>they even know
>>who we are and why we use the words we do.  I don't think we're
>>undermining ourselves or our philosophy -- we're trying to find
>others out
>>there who don't see as well as their peers (seniors, students,
>>and...well...everybody else) to show them our positive philosophy
>on blindness.

>board and
>>as
>recently
>>noticed
>good
>>one.  It
>>visually
>people.
>>These
>not
>>want to
>person...
>>this
>fact
>>that we
>that
>> the visual hierarchy does not matter.  Even if you
>to be

>blurred
>>and if
>these
>>new
>specific
>be the
>>most
>>"Attention
>>some sense
>as
>>visually
>the
>>terminology
>family?

>refer to
>>other
>>subject line
>>to the NABS
>Visually
>>Impaired
>>blindness
>group or
>>person...  I am really curious, because I have seen terms such as
>visually
>>impaired, low vision, and high partial , in our literature
> [...]

s%40gmail.com