[nabs-l] Philosophical Terminology

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:55:47 UTC 2008

I've expressed my (admittedly pilfered) theory before that blind people
hate each other.

We seem to compare ourselves to one another to determine who is more or
less independent or well-adapted.  Those who are less adapted are as an
embarrassment to us because they make us look bad.  Those who are more
adapted are equally embarrassing because we feel inadequate by comparison
because we're not some kind of super-blind person who can do the things
they do.

Most of the responses I've gotten to this theory indicate that there
appears to be something to it, anecdotally at least.  Given that, I had to
wonder if the reason why we have a deaf culture, but not a blind culture,
is that we're too busy comparing our differences to notice our sameness.
This seems to be something we would want to change, in my opinion.

Joseph