[nabs-l] NFB Training Centers

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:21:13 UTC 2008

Minnesnowta is a fine place to get training. You will have a chance to cut
down a tree if you are here by Christmas-smile, but I think all the centers
do it. I am glad you are in contact.

For the others who are having doubts about what a blind person can do...that
is a typical and normal process that many go through. Even if you are raised
with strong expectations at home and school the everyday doubts that society
places on your psyche can get into your head and emotions. The only thing I
have found is to keep meeting a wide variety of blind people who are doing
what you fear can not be done, and then taking some risk to do those things
your self and getting training to do the everyday things that you should be
able to do independently like cook, read, travel, take care of yourself,
etc.

I used a chainsaw while blindfolded last summer, I was supervised for safety
by a blind man. I had never used a chainsaw before. I have a nice chunk of
log on my desk now to remind me about cutting through fears.

There are several Kernel books stories you can look up, "Let that blind man
work on my truck" from Making Hay comes to mind, as does "Bringing home the
Christmas tree" from the same book. You can order the book in either print,
Braille or cassette or find its contents online. The kernel book entitled
Tooth past and railroad tracks has "the blind beak of bow street" about a
blind police officer who fundamentally in the end changed police and
detective work so today's police forces around the world use his methods
still today. There have been totally blind carpenters, electricians and pig
farmers and horse ranchers, as well as the teachers, lawyers, there is a
blind barber I have seen too...there is not too much not possible.

When you think of what you can or can not do, measure it from your talents
and intellect not your eyesight. I am sighted but I can not be an
electrician or carpenter or brain surgeon or famous singer...just no talent
in those areas.

Like most things in life you will get out of your training what sweat and
blood and tears you put into it.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc