[nabs-l] Skill Training and Reinforcement for High School Students

Beth thebluesisloose at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 11:41:34 UTC 2008

Let me answer the questions one by one:
1. I received lots of Braille training when I was just a girl of about
five years old, but didn't receive too much homemaking skills because
I didn't get the chance or the teacher had a heavy caseload.  The
teacher worked within the school district.  We tried getting an
extended school year for me so I could get homemaking skills and all.
I even tried the DAytona rehab center's homemaking classes, but they
simply weren't enough.  But part of it was my confidence level, which
was very low.  So after working now with the Lighthouse of the Big
Bend in Tally, I think my confidence level is getting higher in that
area, but I can't really reinforce it because I'm on a meal plan.
2. One thing I would highly recommend for students to reinforce their
skills is to ask their parents if they can help in the kitchen.  My
friend Carlos says that sometimes parents won't let their blind
children near the kitchen.  My mom?  She's cool with it.  She'll have
me snapping beans every Thanksgiving and she'll even let me boil eggs!
3. I participated in band and chorus, but I don't think it was enough
to develop my social skills.  One thing I would recommend is to really
start learning those social skills at a young age, and there's
something else that I'd recommend as well: girls, don't chase the
guys.  I had a huge problem with that, and still do.  I've had TWO
GUYS come up to me and complain about the way I act, and I think
they're right, sadly.
Beth
P.S. Happy Thanksgiving.