[nabs-l] Fw: [nfbwatlk] NFBW 2008 Convention Agenda

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 07:00:48 UTC 2008

AGENDA

2008 CONVENTION

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF WASHINGTON

Michael Freeman, President

October 31-November 2, 2008

Holiday Inn Downtown-Everett

3105 Pine Street

Everett, Washington 98201

Telephone (425) 339-2000

BLINDNESS: The Future Is Liberation

Note: All convention sessions and the convention banquet will be held in the
Everett Ballroom.

Friday, October 31, 2008

9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.: Adaptive Technology Exhibits

10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Seminar for Blind Students - Leadership Is Liberation

Blindness Skills; Self-Advocacy; Community Participation; the Organized
Blind Movement

Keynote Speaker: Daniel B. Frye, Braille Monitor Reporter and Staff
Associate National Federation of the Blind, Baltimore, MD

Sponsored by

NFB of Washington Students

Jennifer Moerke, President

Bellingham, WA

2:30 p.m.: Braille Carnival for Blind Children

Denise Mackenstadt, Orientation and Mobility Instructor, Edmonds, WA and

Kristina Lawrence, President, Seattle Chapter, national Federation of the
Blind of Washington, Port Orchard, WA

2:30 p.m.: Concurrent Break-out Sessions for Parents of Braille Carnival
Participants

6:00 p.m.: No-host Bar

7:00 p.m.: Dinner and Open Meeting, Board of Directors, National Federation
of the Blind of Washington

8:30 p.m.: Meeting of the Resolutions Committee

National Federation of the Blind of Washington

Ben Prows, Chair

Kirkland, Washington

Saturday, November 1, 2008

8:00 a.m.: Convention Registration

9:00 a.m.: Welcome to Everett

Karen Shaw, Director of Economic Development and Human Needs Everett, WA

9:10 a.m.: Opening Announcements

Michael Freeman, President, National Federation of the Blind of Washington

9:15 a.m.: NFB National Report

Daniel B. Frye, Braille Monitor Reporter and Staff Associate, National
Federation of the Blind Baltimore, Maryland

10:00 a.m.: The Blind in Canada and the Canadian Federation of the Blind
(CFB)

Elizabeth, Lalonde, President, Canadian Federation of the Blind, Victoria,
B.C., Canada

10:20 a.m.: Getting the Word Out: the National Federation of the Blind of
Washington and Public

      Relations

Kristina Lawrence, President, Seattle Chapter National Federation of the
Blind of Washington

Port Orchard, WA

10:45 a.m. Presidential Report

Michael Freeman, President, National Federation of the Blind of Washington,
Vancouver, Washington

11:00 a.m.: The Blind and the Legislative Process

Senator Jean Berkey, 38th Legislative District, Everett, Washington

11:30 a.m.: The Neural Effects of Visual Deprivation: How Blindness Rewires
the Brain

Dr. Ione Fine, Assistant Professor of Psychology University of Washington
Seattle, WA

Noon: Adjourn

1:45 p.m.: The School of Piano Technology for the Blind: A Training Resource
for a Lucrative Career

Don Mitchell, Instructor, School of Piano Technology for the Blind

Vancouver, WA

2:00 p.m.: Toward Specialized Endorsements for Teachers of the Visually
Impaired and Orientation and

    Mobility Instructors in Washington State

Jaimie Baggett, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, Edmonds School District

Dr. Phil Hatlen, Former Superintendent, Texas School for the Blind

Members, TOVI Education Reform Committee

2:45 p.m.: The Washington State School for the Blind: Educating Blind
Children to Take Their Place in

    Society

Dean Stenehjem, Superintendent, Washington State School for the Blind,
Vancouver, Washington

3:15 p.m.: The Department of Services for the Blind (DSB): Helping the Blind
to Liberate Themselves

    Into Society

    Louoma Durand, Director, Washington State Department of Services for the
Blind
Olympia, Washington

3:45 p.m.: the Washington Talking Book and Braille Library (WTBBL): A
Library With An Exciting Future

Danielle King, Director, Washington Talking Book and Braille Library,
Seattle WA

4:15 p.m.: The Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind: New Jobs in New Places

Kirk Adams, President, Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind, Seattle, Washington

4:35 p.m.: The Blind and the Great Outdoors: We Can Go Camping, Too!

Ivan Weich, President, Kitsap County Chapter National Federation of the
Blind of Washington

Bremerton, Washington

5:00 p.m.: Adjourn

6:00 p.m.:  No-host Bar

7:00 p.m.: Convention Banquet

Presentation of Scholarships

Banquet Address

8:30 p.m.: National Federation of the Blind of Washington Auction

Paula Achter, Chair, Auction Committee

Ben Prows, Auctioneer

Sunday, November 2, 2008

9:00 a.m.: NFBW Convention Business Session

Report from the Nominating Committee

Elections

Resolutions

Chapter Reports