[nabs-l] 10 Best Tips for Professors

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 29 06:43:08 UTC 2008

Yes - singling out is a no-no for sure, unless the student suggests/requests
it. I have never heard of it before, but it's probably worth including.
Also, speaking to the student about their needs rather than to the office
for persons with disabilities is paramount. Although this office is a good
resource, and will help with logistical things, they don't know the
student/their needs like the student does.
Submitting reading lists/titles of textbooks immediately when requested is
essential. I am under the impression/belief that failure to do this was the
reason why I am only receiving textbooks now, at mid-terms. This is
unacceptable and profs/teachers need to know the potentially long time it
takes for books to be transcribed into Braille or another alternate format.
Submitting handouts/tests early to a transcriber is essential as well.
Having equal expectations for blind/visually impaired students as any other
student is essential. On the same card it is not fair for a blind student to
have to complete an assignment on observing the stars, for example, without
some kind of modification. So creativity must be used in teaching visually
impaired or blind students, especially when teaching visual concepts such as
colour, reflection of light, or other things blind students have never
experienced.
Don't be afraid of teaching a blind/visually impaired student either. They
will enrich your teaching, and many other students often benefit from the
modifications teachers make in order to teach someone with a visual
impairment, or any other special need.
Thank you for reading this, and I hope it helps the website.
Sarah