[nabs-l] research methods

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:54:00 UTC 2008

This will be brief because I am running to class in a moment. If you
use Kurzweil, I open the articles in Adobe Reader, then print to "KESI
Virtual Printer"--installed when you install K1000. The page numbers
then appear at the top or bottom of the Kurzweil pages, as those are
printed on each page of the journal. There's an option in K1000 to
"review" or "skim" or something like that -- basically it reads the
first sentence of each paragraph. I read the first few paragraphs of
the article, the last few paragraphs of the article, and the first
sentence of each paragraph. That usually tells me whether the article
will be helpful -- if so, then I find parts that seemed of use and
read those.

I use a magnification program, not JAWS, so I am not sure about
database accessbility.

I am trying a new strategy for notes -- a new Word document for each
source, and then later blend those together into an outline of quotes,
paraphrases, etc. Then it's writing time!

Good luck.
Corbb