[nabs-l] Tips for DSS offices

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Fri Oct 31 21:02:42 UTC 2008

Students should have the option to use or not use services. My greatest
complaint about many DSS offices is that they strip power from able students
by requiring them to use official reader lists and other accommodations.
Professors are allowed to refuse to accommodate students with obvious
disabilities who have not registered with the DSS office.

I understand that all students do not have the same degree of self-advocacy
ability and in fact that some students come to college with multiple
disabilities that can make their needs very challenging. However, the DSS
offices need to make it possible for these students to obtain the assistance
they need without forcing the assistance on people who prefer to do things
in other ways.

Sarah J. Blake
http://www.growingstrong.org
sjblake at growingstrong.org