[nabs-l] College Readiness Tips

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 22:13:30 UTC 2008

Hi Joe and all,

Since a lot of the questions that blind high school students (and
their parents and teachers) ask concern the skills that students
should master before starting college, I think we may want to include
some guidelines in  the high school tips part of the Web site
describing what blindness skills are most essential for success in
college and the goals that high school students should be held to in
their blindness training. Here are my  suggestions for both "minimal"
and "ideal" levels in each blindness skill area that I think high
school students should strive for when preparing for college. This is
just my opinion, though, so I welcome contributions or corrections
from any of you. We can either try to incorporate this into the top
ten list or set up a separate page dealing with this issue.

Braille:
Minimally, students should be able to take notes reliably either in
hard-copy (paper) Braille or using a Braille notetaker, and be able to
read the notes back later to use for studying.
Ideally: Students should be proficient enough in Braille to be able to
read a speech aloud in a class presentation.

Computers:
Minimally: Students should be able to use JAWS (or its equivalent)
with basic word-processing, email and Internet programs.
Ideally: Students should be able to use spreadsheet (i.e. Excel),
PowerPoint programs (or their equivalents) and learn new programs on
their own whenever possible.

Travel:
Minimally: Students should be able to get around their high school
campus independently and efficiently (without being late, leaving
class early, etc.) They should also be able to learn basic routes
between their college classrooms and have some familiarity with public
transportation systems in their hometown.
Ideally: Students should be able to use appropriate techniques to
orient themselves to a new campus or find new buildings on a campus
they already know, as well as learn the layout of a new city and be
able to travel to new places in the city in an efficient manner.

Home Management/Daily Living:
Minimally: Students should  be able to prepare a simple meal for
themselves, do their own laundry, and shop with customer service (for
groceries etc.)
Ideally: Students should be able to prepare a romantic five-course
meal for their significant other, and magically make their residence
spotless the day after a party, at least when Mom and Dad are coming
to visit!

OK, so the last one is a bit of a stretch for many college freshmen
(blind and sighted alike), but you get the idea!

What does everyone think?
Arielle