[nabs-l] VoiceOver

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 04:27:41 UTC 2009

Hello NABS listers,

I have been a JAWS user since elementary  school, but the computers in
the psych labs on campus are all Macs and I'd like to be able to use
them with VoiceOver, if possible. However, I know little about
VoiceOver and I wanted to get your feedback about how effective and
user-friendly it is as a screen reader. Are most standard applications
on the Macintosh (i.e. word processing, Internet, etc.) accessible
with VoiceOver? Also, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial for
basic VoiceOver commands or  an easy way to get to a keyboard help
menu on the Mac? I tried teaching myself on my friend's computer but
having been a JAWS user forever I realize that I don't know enough
about the Mac operating system itself to learn the screen reader
without some kind of  manual or at least some keyboard help.

I apologize for the technical thread but I'm hoping that this
information will be useful to other students on campuses where public
computers are Macs. If the Macintosh is indeed fully accessible out of
the box, this could greatly cut down on technology expenses and make
on-campus public  computers accessible to blind students.

Arielle