[nabs-l] Computer keyboard trouble

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Apr 10 13:40:03 UTC 2009

Sydney,

Most laptops have the ability to have the keys you mentioned used as a sort of numeric pad.  You almost certainly accidentally turned this feature on by accident.
How this feature is activated varies some from computer to computer.  It is even different between models from the same company.  For example, different models of
Dell computers are different.  However, here is an overview of how it generally works.

Usually a laptop has an "FN" key which is a sort of shift key that makes your keyboard behave differently when the key is held down.  It acts as sort of another shift
key.  Normally, it provides access to keys that may not be on your physical keyboard and it also controls laptop functions as well.  For example, on my Dell laptop,
pressing the LEFT and RIGHT ARROWS with the FN key down makes them act as PGUP and PGDN.  The UP and DOWN ARROW keys with the FN key held
down make my screen brighter or darker.  When I hold down my FN key, the keys you mention become a numeric keypad, but normally they return to normal when I
let it up.

Generally, the FN key pressed with function keys controls a number of laptop functions and particular keys.  Unless you can see your screen or have someone
handy to look at it, I wouldn't experiment with these because there is usually one that turns off the sound.  However, one of these function keys, together with the
FN key, likely acts as a NUM LOCK key.  In the case of a laptop, this NUM LOCK key turns on the use of the keys you mention as a numeric pad even when the
FN key is not pressed.

If you have your manual or know the exact model number of your computer, you need to find out which key combination creates the NUM LOCK key.  There may be
a manual on your computer.  Finding that combination and pressing it again should correct it.  If you remember when it started, you might be able to make an
educated guess as to what you pressed.  Still, your best bet is to know for certain if you can find the documentation.  On my computer, the NUM LOCK key is
emulated by FN with F4.  I can accidentally hit this combination when pressing CONTROL F4, for example sinct CNTRL is right next to my FN key.  I use that as an
example, though, don't assume it is F4 on your computer.  <smile>

I hope this background helps you find an answer.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson