[nabs-l] Job seekers- disclosing disability

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 04:47:40 UTC 2009

I was under the impression that employers were required to provide
'reasonable' accomidations.  This article seems to imply that they are not
obligated if they did not know about your disability when they hired you.
the law does not allow for employers to use your disibility at all in their
selection process.  In OR i believe that employers aren't even allowed to
ask about disabilities.  I imagine that one can extend the law to not allow
for preference to be given to disabled applicants either since you would be
choosing on non-relevant baseies.  Unfortunatly those of us with physical
disabilities have less choice about disclosure then other potentionally
disabled applicants.  Joseph has said to me that employers will be more
likely to hire you if they can see how you would be able to forfill the
position.  Convincing the employer of this can be hard.  It would seem that
an interview would be a good place to discuss this, but you would much
prefer that the interview focused on your own skills and not details that
should not effect their desision.
Just my two cents,
Bill VP
Oregon Association of Blind Students