[nabs-l] Accommedations Letter to Professors

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Sat Apr 18 10:44:14 UTC 2009

In my case the Dss office wrote the accommodation letters.  My
professors would then contactme to seeif I needed anything extra.
Before I transfered to the college I attend now, I received no
(or very little) accommodation.  In fact, I'd contact the dss
office to obtain my books in alternative formats at the beginning
of the summer and would receive them in the middle of the
semester, long after the class had started.  If it was not for my
parents acting as readers (these courses were i tv courses and
were similar to distance education courses), I would nh passed
the class.  Although I don't believe my blindness to be a
disability, I think reasonable  accommodations are essential.  A
separate introduction to your peers? Not necessary.  Books in
accessible format? Essential!
Hope and Beignet