[nabs-l] job seekers disclosing their disability

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 20:14:16 UTC 2009

Hi all:

Really like this topic.

I can't speak from much, but based on the little experience I do have I can see both sides of the coin, as it were. My first thought when applying for a job was not to disclose my disability until the interview. As Serena had mentionedre: accommodations, just walk in with my cane and then have the interviewer have no choice but to deal with me at that point. Because even in just other experiences I know that seeing a visible disability hinders some people. I remembered once applying for a job at City Hall and when i walked in and gave my resume they said that the position had already been filled, and I'm pretty sure that was because they didn't know how to deal nor want to deal with blindness as a factor to employment with them. With the summer job I currently have (this will be my third summer working for them) I had to disclose my disability as it was on the application form. In that way when they chose me to have an interview they knew immediately that I was blind and asked me what accommodations I would need. I think they were still unsure about me when I came to the interview, but then I could prove myself with my intelligence and knowledge, and that's what I think made them decide to ultimately hire me. That and the fact that it was the Federal Government, and the manager said that "we need to put our money where our mouth is." And they keep hiring me back. In fact, a week after I was hired in my first year i was told that providing things don't change too drastically I would be inployed until I graduate. Wehn I have my next job interview I think I will continue with the same philosophy and see where it takes me, though keeping in mind the value of disclosing ahead of time in certain cases. I really think it's a case by case thing, and I need to make the best judgements at the time.

Just my two cents worth to the thread.

Patricia