[nabs-l] Disclosing disability

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 00:36:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

I asked my VR councelor about SSDI/SSI disability related work expense and the PASS program. He told me I did not qualify to apply for either of those programs until I was already working.

Here is an area of SSI lawe that can and should be fixed.

In my case, the job I interviewed for pays $10/hour. I would not make any money if I have to pay a driver out of pocket, theirfore, I could not commit ahead of time to hiring a driver Yet I am unable to pursue the disability expenses or PASS until I have a job. Kind of a cath-22. A program that could help us get a job can't be applied for until we already have a job. This is especially relevant to college students with their annual summer job searches.

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."