[nabs-l] On-line "get a job" seminar

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 21 00:44:15 UTC 2009

Good evening everyone,

    I have repeatedly told several accounts of how I was able to attend a
national convention having to deal with a number of extenuating
circumstances. I have also seen several other members do the same. There's
the lady that left a hospital on a Saturday afternoon after having her
gallbladder removed and a hernia repaired and that same evening board a
flight to Dallas for last year's national convention. Both her and I were
out on the march the following Wednesday with many others. I know because I
traveled with her. And we did it without a single cent of assistance from
anyone.

    There was also the gentleman who was encouraged by members of his
chapter to attend a national convention in 1984 during the June chapter
meeting. That gentleman got busy and found the cash to put him in Phoenix.
And it was a good thing he rose to the challenge as he and his wife
celebrated their 24th Wedding Anniversary last month.

    There were several members that gave birth during the national
convention. And for a few others the national convention was the last stop
on their road of life. We've seen countless cases in which members who
thought they couldn't afford to attend the national convention rise to the
challenge and come to experience this life-changing event and they're glad
they did. They set the example for others to follow. The assistance is
there, but you must first believe you can attend and find a way to get
there. There are too many examples of members who due to extenuating
circumstances thought they couldn't attend the national convention but when
they began to believe they could be there they made it happen and had their
lives changed forever.

 Webinars are great, but a total immersion experience is the gold standard!
Would you want someone to just tell you how to use a cane online, or meet
successful blind role models who can actually show you how to use a cane at
an NFB event? Would you want someone to just explain how they do their job
over the Net, or have one or more blind persons walk you through what they
do and show you the alternative techniques they use during an NFB employment
seminar at the national convention?My advice to all of you is to find a way
to be with us in Detroit this summer and get the total immersion experience;
not just half of the program. This advice comes from someone who has
constructed Web sites and other Internet resources for numerous NFB
affiliates. Mary and I hope to see many of you in Detroit.

Peter Donahue