[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Thu Apr 23 01:33:38 UTC 2009

Marc,

I don't buy a lot of what you are saying. Blindness is not only a physical
descriptor. It is not escencially meaningless. I see your argument about
social reactions to blindness, and simply don't agree.

Perhaps reading and discussing Jernigan's points in Handicap or
characteristic is in order, but we need to be a little more honest with
ourselves about the challenges blindness does pose day in and day out.

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall