[nabs-l] Romanticisation of Blindness

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 20:07:30 UTC 2009

Hey,

Does romanticisation of blindness have anything to do with dependence/interdependence? In romances, relationships, and family, there is a certian amout of interdependence among the lovebirds. is it because blind people are already closer to dependency than others, that we are some how inherently more qualified for a relationship? Or is it based on society's view of romance that one partner strives to take care of the other (ie. the man as the "bread winner"), thus there is a natural tendanc to view blind people in a similar light, that we need/want to be taken care of like the helpless housewife (put away your claws ladies, I;m not suggesting women are helpless or need/want to be taken cvare of).
Ive never been good at philosopy.

Jim

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."