[nabs-l] Romanticisation of Blindness

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 23:40:54 UTC 2009

I believe that the statement blindness is one of the most romanticized
disabilities refers to the "amazing blind person comments."  Sighted people
usually look at blind people in one of two ways,  either "blind people are
helpless and can't do anything with out help," or "blind people are amazing
at everything they do."  All the stereotypes such as, "all blind people are
talented piano players, blind people are good with their hands, blind people
make grate massage therapists, blind people have super sonic hearing
abilities, blind people are good in bed, blind people do not make judgments
on other peoples appearances because they look at other peoples souls.
While it is nice to think of blind people as being this amazing and noble,
we all know that this romantic view does not apply to all blind people.
Their are blind people who fit in many of these categories but most blind
people do not fit all categories, and their is always some who don't fit
any.  So while blindness is much more romanticized by these stereotypes it
doesn't mean love.  We get both the positive and negative from stereotypes
but the romanticized version sounds a lot nicer don't you think. teehee