[nabs-l] Romanticisation of Blindness

Jason Mandarino blind.subscriber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 04:18:58 UTC 2009

My aim is not to be pessimistic in this, but to merely point out the reality
that even in the social constructs of romantic humor; blindness is still not
taken seriously. I was thinking through many of the saying that I have
heard, especially in light of what Andi had to point out. As one well
embracing of the twenty-first century, I found the following through google.

But to preface such a comment, we must realize that expressions of blindness
are aimed towards ignorance and not competence. So although we may be blind,
it would not be profitable for us to love as blind, not in the sense that
sighted people deem their definition.

Love is blind

Origin

This was coined by Shakespeare and was quite a favorite line of his. It
appears in several of his plays, including Two Gentlemen of Verona, Henry V
and
The Merchant Of Venice. For example, this piece from The Merchant Of Venice:
Block quote start

JESSICA: Here, catch this casket; it is worth the pains.
I am glad 'tis night, you do not look on me,
For I am much ashamed of my exchange:
But love is blind and lovers cannot see
The pretty follies that themselves commit;
For if they could, Cupid himself would blush
To see me thus transformed to a boy.