[nabs-l] Pedestrian safety improvement act

Jason Mandarino blind.subscriber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 04:40:51 UTC 2009

Jim,

I first want to commend your intentions as I think it is very important and
valuable to be one who is aimed toward integrating into society rather than
bending society.

However, in spirit of being American, we are meant to be a nation that
supports and cares for its minorities. The whole purpose of making buildings
handicap accessible is to promote the equality of individuals that are
unable to utilize stairs or narrow doors. Our nation has been devoted to the
change for equality as we have fought for racial reconciliation, gender
equality, education opportunities, and much more.

America prides itself on being so accessible to information, but I find that
although the internet is a friend to information it is an enemy to thought.
Those who care about me and know me barely think for me, and those who do
not know me will never think for me until I introduce myself. We are a
market driven society that thrives on practical knowledge, and until things
are done to promote blindness, the sighted world will become more and more
removed from our grasp. I believe that the issue of touch phones is already
taunting this reality, and other common appliances that have spurred our
Federation to propose a technology bill of rights.

Now how many times have you had someone ask you about Braille on ATM
machines? They do not realize that there is Braille on the ATM machines
within wall mart or other walk up tellers, but only the drive through
machines. They also do not realize that they are made in the same place, and
it is easier to adapt all of them, rather than a select few. My new
municipal court building has a talking elevator as well, and I could point
that such a thing is unnecessary. However, when people downtown see me, they
forget that the sound prompts helped them out, and are more impressed with
the novelty that I have an opportunity to be prompted to the floor I chose.

My point being, there are plenty of things that I personally find dumb, but
they are beneficial in spurring the thinking in the majority. Perhaps the
most hilarious find on my campus is that they went a bit over board on the
Braille signs. There is a sign located in the middle of my cafeteria that is
labeled cafeteria, and I was informed by its existence through a friend who
was curious. I follow along the wall of that particular section, and would
easily go my entire time on campus without knowing there is a sign in the
middle of a room just for me!

However, my classrooms are labeled, and all I needed was some assistance in
knowing where buildings were located rather than every class room.

Sincerely,

Mandarino