[nabs-l] Why the NABS should pursue its own employment seminars

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 19:39:52 UTC 2009

NABS board and officers,

I strongly urge the NABS to pursue its own efforts towards providing job training/readyness. Meaningful employment counters dependence, and successful employment counters stereotypes.

I think that for students, there would be an inherent advantage value associated with attending a seperate NABS produced employment seminar that could possibly not be realized at the national convention level. For example, I've never been the shy, quiet type. in class, if I don't know an answer, I will ask the question, regardless of how stupid I may sound, and I wont give a damn what anyone thinks. But, on the other hand, not all students are like me; many wont ask a question to save their life. If
 they wont ask a question in a classroom, what are the chances they will ask a question in a crowded national convention seminar that is full of older people, proffessionals, and strangers?

Additionally, as students, we may not be up to par with the job skills and knowledge of an older, proffessional crowd. Maybe, for example,  some of us (like me) may just be begining to accept our blindness, thus have never looked for a job as a blind person before, and as a result, the education/training needs to start at the most basic level.

I could list many more reasons and examples as to why the NABS should host its own job training workshops, but I think I've made my point.

 I'm not suggesting that we compete with the national convention efforts,we could do it anytime between September and March, and not
 compete directly with the convention. And, with the technology that is availiable, these efforts could be entirely web based, or if there is a NABS convention, that would be a good time to. I bet this is the type of project the Imagination Fund would jump all over.

I do think this idea is worth pursuing, and I intend to continue to do so. Please concider supporting this proposal. Also, for everyone reading this on the list, make sure you let our leaders know what you want and need; they are not mind readers. If the NABS board and its officers get enough phone calls and emails in favor of an idea, they will hear the call, and I have faith that they will respond to the needs of their consituants, and to the needs of their voters...

Thanks,
Jim

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."