[nabs-l] studying abroad advise

Beth thebluesisloose at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 01:31:04 UTC 2009

Question: how do international peopl have different values than the
average sighted American?  This is weird.  I know international
students who are very nice and help me whenever I ask for it, but the
general sighted public is so self-centered these days.
Beth

On 4/24/09, Serena <serenacucco at verizon.net> wrote:
> I agree that it should be a student , not a gardian.  I'm not sure that
> students going on the trip will necessarily want to help you, however,
> regardless of being paid, unless they're at least your acquaintances.  My
> senior year of college, there was a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure.  I
> asked several senior friends and acquaintances who were going, but nobody
> wanted to go with me, either cuz of the responsibility of my being blind or,
> simply, they didn't care about the situation!  I ended up asking a younger
> friend, who wasn't going originally, to do it and "paid" him, giving him a
> free ticket the Office of Student Activities gave me to "pay" him.  I know
> he would've gone with me, even if I didn't pay him, cuz he's international,
> so has different values than the average sighted American.
>
> Serena

>>> Ps. I am starting to plan some days with my of m instructor to learn how
>>> travel on train because we might use that in Europe, and I am excited to
>>> learn but it is very difficult since my classes overlap and I get
>>> tutoring
>>> for my statistic course 4 days a week and have to use Fridays for
>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/blind.subscriber%40g