[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 21:01:55 UTC 2009

Hi all,

While I understand the theory behind using “person-first” language, I
have to agree with Jedi. In English the convention is to use
descriptive words before the noun they’re describing, and when we go
to the trouble of putting the adjective after the noun, I think it
calls too much attention to the adjective and implies a negative
connotation. After all, we call “women” “women”, not “people who are
female”; we call “redheads” “redheads” rather than “people with red
hair”, etc. Saying “people who are female”, “people with red hair”, or
“people who are blind” sounds awkward and contrived, and I think when
we hear these phrases we tend to interpret them as meaning being
female, redheaded or blind  is something special or inferior.

Arielle