[nabs-l] studying abroad advise

Adrianne Dempsey adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 04:49:08 UTC 2009

I apologize for this posting being late, but I hope you decided to go on the
trip.  I never went to Europe for school, but I spent six weeks traveling
threw many of the countries in Europe.  I can tell you what I know about
that continent...
    Most of Europe has amazing public transportation.  All of the Busses,
trains, and trams talked and even if you don't speak the language if you
know the name of the place your going you can usually pick that out.  The
countries that were former Soviet Union are a little less easy to navigate,
but defanatly still doable.  If you get lost most people I found are
helpful.  I don't know what all languages you speak but it is a good time to
practice, most people their appreciate the effort even if your sentences are
not perfect or even not full sentences.  Also if all else fails, most people
in Europe speak at least three languages, one of them is almost always
English especially if it is someone our age.  I did not have a GPS when I
went, but if you have one I think it should be quite simple to get around.
As far as the hotel, their will be workers their that speak English for
sure, if tourist visit workers will speak English.  I don't know about the
presentations but I am sure if a class mate is their some one will tell you
what is going on visually.  I did not go on guided tours but if it is a
group thing I bet you'll be fine.  Good luck I hope everything go's well for
you.