[nabs-l] help with an assistive technology presentation

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:17:23 UTC 2009

Hi everyone:

I was asked about a month ago by my Disability Services Advisor if i would be willing to do a presentation on assistive technology for the blind   across the lifespan for an assistive technology class that she would be teaching to special Ed students. I jumped at the opportunity. I get an hour and a half to present, and decided that before I delve into the technology of today that I give a background on the technologies of the past i.e. the very first commercial notetaker, the first notetaker with a braille display, etc. As i never used many of these technologies myself (the only notetaker I have ever used is the Pac Mate) I have been doing research into the others to get a bit of a background and some info for the presentation. However I can't seem to find any information on the Braille Lite. This surprised me because this is a piece of technology that many of my friends had used in school. I was wondering if any of you could give me a brief history of the Braille LIte (the first version, before it was taken over by Freedom Scientific). Does anyone know when the Braille Lite came out?

Any help on this would be great.

Hope you all are having a wonderful summer.

Patricia