[nabs-l] Conference call- Election discussion forum

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 02:40:21 UTC 2009

Dear listers,

	The main objective of this first conference call is to set up a
mutually agreeable ongoing forum (i.e. a blog or website) where the
membership can give us feedback on aspects of the election process
that we might want to change for future elections. No binding
decisions will be made tomorrow night; we are simply identifying
aspects of the election process that might benefit from revisions,
possible revisions that the membership can deliberate about, and a
venue in which the members can express their views. Once all the
alternative changes to election procedure have been discussed, the
board will review the membership’s feedback and decide which changes
to implement. These decisions probably won’t be made until next
spring.

	In a few minutes I will send out a separate email detailing how I
plan to run the elections next year. This outline is based on our
current constitution as well as protocols that are traditionally
followed by NFB divisions and affiliates, and which NABS has typically
followed in the past. I will also reiterate this election procedure on
the conference call. If you see points in this outline that you feel
could benefit from changes, please bring those suggestions to the
conference call.

	Finally, I feel the need to say a word about respect and decorum. The
NABS board is opening up a forum for dialogue about the election
procedures because we trust in the membership’s ability to carry on
positive, productive discussions. However, these discussions will not
be productive or positive unless we all refrain from accusations,
conspiracy theories and personal attacks. The NFB has been a strong
and decisive organization in part because of our practice of treating
each other and people outside the organization with respect. Dr.
Maurer always requires us to behave courteously at national
conventions even with speakers who might have opinions differing from
those held by the NFB. On the NABS list, personal attacks against
specific individuals are not allowed. Publicly accusing a specific
individual or group of people of “ripping the organization apart” on
the list is not acceptable and does nothing to advance us toward any
kind of resolution. If you feel that someone’s behavior is truly out
of line, you can express your concerns to me, Dave Andrews, or Jedi
Moerke, the listserv chair, but there is no need to call that person
out on-list.

	Lately there has been some talk of our organization’s reputation,
integrity, etc. I would encourage any of you who are concerned about
these things to examine your own behavior and ensure that you are
serving as good representatives of our organization in your writing,
and that you are focused on bringing about positive change for NABS
rather than discrediting individuals that you believe might be
threatening our integrity. I would also encourage you to join us in
making NABS better not just with the elections but also by
volunteering on committees and projects and working on growing the
student division in your own state. Finally, remember that we aren’t
just a stand-alone student organization. We are part of the National
Federation of the Blind, which is nearly seventy years old and fifty
thousand members strong. NABS has been around for forty-two years and
has stood the test of time and had its share of disagreements and
controversies. If we can all muster the self-control to debate
respectfully, I believe we have nothing to fear and much to gain from
this.

Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
Phone:  602-502-2255
Email:
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website: