[nabs-l] Where Do Textbooks Come From

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 20:22:16 UTC 2009

Hi Elizabeth,

Ok, I'll try to actually remove the rest of the digest from my post. Sorry
about that one.

I see it being said that contacting the publishers directly does not work.
This may now be true. All I can say for certain is that it did work quite
well for me from 2002 to 2007. Perhaps things have changed. Yes. I would
just google the publisher, get a general contact number, describe my
situation to whomever answered the call and get transferred to somebody who
could help.

It is true that many of them wanted verification from a DSS office, but I
found that doing this initial leg work made the process much faster on the
DSS office's part. Honestly, often times I would speak with somebody at a
publisher and have a text version of the book within hours.

It is also true that some of them wanted proof that I had purchased a print
or e-text copy of the book, so I did.

As for doing it yourself, depending on the kind of scanning equipment you
have at your disposal and how reliable (or unreliable) your DSS office is,
it can really be the best option. Yep, it takes a little extra time, but
knowing that it will actually be done in a timely manner, in my opinion,
makes the extra time spent well worth while.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

Take care,

Sean