[nabs-l] Turkey Humor and a Blind Cartoon

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 01:21:32 UTC 2009

Hi Jason,
It is good to hear from you and I am so glad you are on this list. I have
noticed your posts before. You have many good mentors here and peers to be
comrades with and also I think young thoughtful smart people like yourself
have much to give, even to your "elders", smile.

As far as the cartoon goes, I do not think it matters in the end who made
the cartoon, I mean I have known blind people who would/could have come up
with the same joke. That to me would be worse possibly though. To me it is
harmful and hurtful whether a sighted person made it to joke about the blind
or a blind person made it to do the same. Here is why:

First let me say that I think the largest sign of emotional health and
sanity is the ability to laugh at yourself, truly to laugh. But is that
cartoon really a portrayal of you? Are you so unaware Jason that standing in
the midst of a group of turkeys (and this was a farmer in the cartoon so it
was his own turkeys in the cartoon) if they just made a different animal
sound you would be fooled? Is sight the only way to tell something or to not
be easily fooled? If it is true about you then laugh at yourself and I will
laugh with you. But if it is not true at all, not a picture of how it is to
be blind, then you are not laughing at yourself as a blind person, cuz that
is not how it is. You are laughing at a false portrayal that goes back
thousands of years and the idea of it which is still today at the heart of
the public's (including teachers, neighbors, relatives, employers)
discrimination and fears. If you are going to laugh at yourself laugh at
something true.

In France, just before Louis Braille was a man who "discovered" that blind
people could be taught to read and he started a school there. It is the
school that Louis went to. How he got interested in the blind was that they
all lived in an isolated terrible place and had to beg for money. Then the
blind people who lived there found a way to earn money for them selves by
making an entertainment circus which made complete fun of themselves. Do you
think this helped the French at that time learn the truth about blindness or
what blind people were capable of? (I do not blame the blind for trying
anything! I might well have been one of them had I been one of them.) When
this teacher saw the blind making fun of themselves like that he actually
got physically sick and vomited. I feel the same way. His name was Valentin
Hauy.

The reason people laugh is because they think it is understandable. That is
a very key point. People do not laugh or find humor in things that do not
make sense to them. I do not think it is funny that any people find that
portrayal of blindness understandable. It is nonsense to me.

Do not worry about Jordan I wrote the letter to the famous cartoonist a year
ago. He took the test finally, although he got an old outdated test, not the
current one his sighted peers had taken. He is now a freshman in college
here and loving it. We are all well. I think of you often with fondness. I
have no surprise at all that you love Social Studies. I still say you should
study and try and enter a geography bee, smile.

I am so proud of how you are growing up.

Carrie