[nabs-l] Part-Time work during school

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 00:21:59 UTC 2009

The RA's at my school get a scholarship which provides room and board
as well as compensation. The application process is rigorous. RA's are
responsible for a particular floor of a dorm, and every so often, a
couple of times a week at my university, RA's have to do rounds which
means that they have to monitor the dorm they oversee and respond to
any conflict that arise during a certain number of hours. Rounds are
usually not done alone. They are expected to be there for students and
their various dorm questions or conflicts, and they are expected to
enforce policies. RA's also have to plan programs for students to
attend to encourage the hall to hang out together. These programs can
be well planned out such as a crepe night mine did a couple of weeks
ago, or they can be  simple outings such as hall dinners in the
cafeteria. It does require a higher standard of conduct, a well
involved student, and it is a pretty big commitment, but it looks
great on a resume.

Cindy