[nabs-l] introductionn, and a few questions

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 01:50:11 UTC 2009

Hi All:

I am new to the list. I just recently joined the NFB after listening
to the convention in July.

My name is Kerri Kosten. I am a student at West Virginia University
majoring in Journalism. I also work at a local radio station, doing
the sports page for one of the stations websites among other things.

I had a couple of questions. I wasn't taught very well in high school
about college, so I hope these aren't dumb questions.

First, if a professor hands out material in print, is it appropriate
to ask for them to email you an electronic copy? I have Kurzweil at
home, but my scanner is really big so haven't set it up in my
apartment yet. I use and love the Iphone so don't really want to have
to switch to a Nokia just for the KNFB reader, so that's not really an
option so I've been just asking the professors to email a copy of the
handout but wanted to make sure this is appropriate and okay, and not
asking too much.

How do you handle taking notes from powerpoint lectures? At WVU, the
professors always use powerpoints up on a screen so the other students
can copy the notes down from the powerpoints. They post the
powerpoints on Blackboard after the class, but I haven't found them to
be accessible from the Blackboard's website unless I am doing
something wrong.
I have been just listening for key things the professor says and
writing stuff down that way that I think is noteworthy but if the
professor gives a really long definition sometimes I forget part of
the definition. The other students can of course look at the
powerpoints to make sure they have copied the notes correctly...so I
was wondering how you guys handled that.

I am also going to take a class next semester in Biology. When we
study genetics, how did you do the whole punnett square thing to
understand genetics?

Thanks so much, and like I said I hope these aren't dumb questions.

Kerri