[nabs-l] Transitioning Student

Kayleigh Joiner kayleigh281 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 03:14:54 UTC 2009

I am in the process of transitioning from print to braille. Since the 7th grade I have been teaching myself braille during my free time by taking the courses from the hadley school for the blind.  I finished the 3rd literary braille course from hadley this past semester. I went to CCB this summer and learned all of my contractions. I don't have a very knowlegable vision teacher. I feel like I am running out of drive to continue reading. I am a senior in high school and am trying to juggle two advanced placement classes (with the rest of my other classes), my school musical, and my varsity choirs. Does anyone know of any listservs or anything of that type that are for students making the transition from print to braille? I don't really have any friends that are making the switch. They either have known braille all their life or are reading print. And also my parents don't know Braille either so they can't really relate with me on this situation. I do
 plan on attending an NFB training center after I graduate to get better blindness skills. I am leaning towards LCB. Any advice would be greatly appreciative.

Sincerely,
Kayleigh