[nabs-l] volunteering and missions

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 21 04:01:49 UTC 2009

Hello Ashley:

     I have done some volunteer and missions work. I am currently the
Missions chairman for Faith United Methodist Church in West Monroe,
Louisiana. One Saturday each month, I help distribute food as part of our
work with Angel Food Ministries. As the Missions Chairman, I also deal with
a small budget and hold periodic meetings.

     When I lived in Oregon, I went with a church group to help winterize a
house. I am familiar with the use of hand tools and I installed screw on
weather stripping which included a bottom door gasket. We also installed
plastic sheeting on the inside of the windows and I got the difficult window
that had an airconditioner in it.

     In 1996, I went by myself on a short trip to the Commonwealth of
Dominica to investigate the needs of the blind living on that island. It was
quite an experience and I was able to provide a little help.

     If I recall correctly, members of the Greater Baltimore chapter of the
NFB helped install vinyl siding on a Habitat for Humanity house. The report
I heard was that they did a very good job.

     My thoughts on this sort of work are that doing some planning is a good
thing. Learn how to use hand tools. We can certainly hammer nails, drive
screws, cut boards etc. I have installed a garbage disposal, kitchen sink
faucets, a new bathroom sink and cabinet including all the plumbing. When I
was twelve, I laid the decking for an eight by twenty-one foot deck. I have
helped my Father roof a house and also helped with other maintenance. In
case you wonder, I am totally blind. If you want to go overseas, I suggest
trying a domestic opportunity first. Go with an organization that has a good
track record and experienced leadership. Study about where you want to go,
learn about the culture, the food eaten etc. Of course learning a foreign
language is also helpful. Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas,

Robert Jaquiss