[nabs-l] Problems with ETS

priscilla garces priscillagarces1987 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 21 21:33:11 UTC 2009

Dear listers,

I am currently encountering a problem with ETS because they are making it very difficult when it comes to requesting accomodations even though i signed extensive paperwork and sent in all required documentation to them through the school.

I registered to take the GRE (Graduat record examination) on february 6, 2010. I registered last week so i can get all of the accomodations needed in order to take the exam. Earlier, i registered for the GRE prep course offered by kaplan since the school sent me the paperwork being that i was a selected candidate through student support to recieve a full scholarship that helps pay the expense of the course which was $1200.

I registered for the course which was suposed to start on december 22, 2009 and end on january 14, 2010.

Once i sent all of the paperwork, i recieve a phone call saying that "you have to wait on the course untill the testing center gets the approval for the accomodations, therefore, you can't start the course since we haven't approved your accomodations. "you will have to wait 8 weeks before we decide whether or not you will get the accomodations." also, i tried to go online to register for the actual test and the form said the following "testers with disabilities who are requesting accomodations of any kind cannot register online," print and male the form to the address below which is Ets princeton NJ and it said the whole address." So actually i had to print the PDF document and have my advisor help me fill and male the form to ETS over night. I just called ETS along with Kaplan to adress my concerns and they said that they can't do nothing about that and that they haven't recieved the paperwork yet.

but, the point is that i sent it last week to the address indicated on the form when we filled it out.

they said that that's not garanteed yet.

So, i'm already applying to grad schools and i have to take the GRE. so I can't take the prep course because Ets is having me fill out very extensive paperwork just to request for the accomodations and now i can't take the prep course i registered for earlier because they are telling me that i have to wait a month and a half.

I 'm not sure if i am just making it seem as if this were too long, but the main problem is that i don't think that is fair for anyone of us who is visually impaired or has any other kind of disability.

Anyhow, has this ever happened to anyone of you in the process of applying to graduate school?

Is there anything i can do about this?Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate it.

Priscilla Garces

Ps. i am worried of not being able to go to grad school because of ETS being so difficult. This is really an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved.