[nabs-l] volunteering and missions

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 06:30:46 UTC 2009

Robert: nothing  developing as of yet with community service division
stuff.   I would love to see  something   come out of it, but there is
 not alot of  interest right now that I've gotten.
 I've  been sending out E-mails to those who have been contacting me
and I'll update people and  regage interest amungst those individuals
who I know have interest.

 Ashley:
  I had done all of the work I mentioned with AmeriCorps.   So  I had
served on four different projects doing   different jobs on each
project, but I did find that I  ended up doing  quite a bit  of
construction work.
  I used a Dropsaw or chopsaw; a tool that  had a base and  it is
atatched to a  saw with a handle  and safety structure around it  and
you use a handle  to lower the running saw blade to the  wood and it
cuts throughwooden boards.
  People  do use circular saws to cut as well; I'm just not  one of
those people who has used it very  much  so I'm not to  confident in
it yet.

 I also have used a sawzall; I think of it as a smaller hand-held
version of a chainsaw.  it's actually pretty fun as well.
  you can measure  with different tools but I'm not very  well versed
in those tools, but I wont to learn as much as possible about them, so
a habitat build would be great for me I think.
   as painting goes; I   painted walls and building sides; I  would
paint alongside a sighted person  because I felt that for myself, it
was a little easier  to have somebody  point out of I missed a spot,
and  it was good to keep up conversation.
I just  went about the act of painting by  moving the roller up  and
down the wall moving  down  the wall  kind of inching my way along to
insure I did my best to  minimize mistakes.
 it's easy to hear when you  are running out of paint because you just
 hear the   kind of scraping of the  roller aginst the  wall as it's
ran out of paint to rool on the wall.
  Hand sander was a  nice little tool.
  just a electric hand held tool that  you would atatch a sand paper
covered disc to the  end of it and  hold the trigger.   you can  hold
the  tool in motin over  the  spot you need  to san for a  couple of
seconds and then move  on along the area you need to sand.
I generally dubble checked with my non-sanding hand to
 see how smooth the surface   is.
  i did some things different  than my sighted worckers, but  I
learned that this was my way of doing it.
 I think we learn  different ways of doing things and in what I did,
ti might have been a little different in that you just kind of  are
learning as you go.  maybe you have training, maybe you  tinker around
with different things.   At the end of the day, you just kind  go for
what works, my team mates were great at teaching me as well  could be
said for my site supervisors.
 I'm rambling I know,
 but  I think the point is  that  to be able to use power tools as a
blind person certainly it's a  really good feeling to know that you
yourself can do it and as a tudent it ties in to the  thought that if
you are a part of a club or an alternitive spring break where  the
oppertunity  comes up  that you might have  the chance to use power
tools, you  can go into it  not fearing at all that you can't be
successful.
  Darian