[nabs-l] Follow NFB on Twitter

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Mon Feb 2 04:01:43 UTC 2009

Hello Peter,

As David Andrews points out, Twitter apparently has an audio auternative for
signing up to the service. I am a member of the site, and know lots of other
blind people who post there, and the captcha has not stopped these many
blind people from signing up.

There is no excuse for sites not to have a visual means of securing the
site, and keeping bots out of the picture. I don't much understand your
staunch opposition even to something like that, you say because it leaves
out the deaf-blind.

I submit that if all a sight requires is a captcha for signing up, and one
really wants to get signed up, one would arrange time with a sighted person
to process their enrollment in the service.

While we don't want to be left out of the loop, and counted out of
participation in onnline networking or what have you, I find it somewhat
anoying that such continued opposition should go on without regard for a
site's responsibility to keep out spammers. It should be considered that
meaningful efforts to resolve the issue, such as audio captchas have been
made.

Again, I am willing to bet that hundreds of blind people are on Twitter, and
even more on FaceBook, despite your hatred for their antispam methods.

Antonio Guimaraes
Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169