[nabs-l] Readers and Testing

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 2 21:32:49 UTC 2009

Hi Jamie,

I'm not sure what to reccommend.  My best advice is to prevent such a
situation.  Have back up readers!

If your reader doesn't show up for a whole week before the exam, I think its
the student's responsibility to go to the professor, the dss office or
someone to find another reader.
Its the student's responsibility to learn the matterial and one should do
something about accessibility problems way before an exam.

Definately talk to the professor or write about the situation, but prior to
the exam!
I would say refusing to take the test because you could not prepare sends a
bad message.  So perhaps the student should take the exam and see how they
do.  If they fail the exam, that will teach them to be proactive and study
next time with a different reader or tutor.

I did not have issues with readers for preparing for tests in my one math
class I had.  But I did encounter the other part of this situation you
described.

I was in a math class and had to use a combo of large print and readers for
the text.  I could not get it in braille nor did rfb have it.
My class used an online assignment system called Course Compass.  As you
described, the software the math department uses for
> practice exercises and test preparation isn't at all accessible.  I was
> not able to do the practice exercises and test preparation online like
> other students because Course Compass was not accessible.  I use jaws.
So I did equivalent exercises from the text, the old fashioned way.  The
advantage of doing it online was you got immediate feedback whether your
answer was right or wrong.  But you can still practice the concepts and do
homework out of the textbook.  So there's a solution to test prep.  If the
software is inaccessible go back to doing it out of the textbook and write
your work by hand.

I think a situation  like this won't arise if a student is proactive and
addressess accessibility issues before an exam comes or better yet right
when the class starts.  I think such big accessibility issues like
inaccessible
software that is a big part of the class so you can prep for the exam,
should be addressed eary on.

Hth,
Ashley