[nabs-l] Readers and Testing

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Tue Feb 3 22:41:50 UTC 2009

I disagree on some of your points.  First, it's harder to find a good reader for Math or Science than, let's say, English.  That's probably why the prof. assigned the reader.  Also, I guess, Braille books are available to college students in some states, but aren't in others.  How do we really know what the student in question did or didn't do to to try to get the book?  Finally, it simply doesn't seem to me that this is the blind student's fault cuz the reader couldn't show up, possibly because of illness.  Taking the test at a later time, after the student has studied properly, doesn't seem to me to be asking people to let us do less because we're blind.  It seems to me that it's being fair and giving adaquate time to study.  I'd think that, if a sighted student got sick, he/she would be given adaquate time to prepare.  In this case, illness made it so the reader wasn't available.